[TRNSYS-users] Type 34 for non-vertical windows

Heloise PELEN heloise.pelen at etamine.coop
Thu Mar 11 09:23:18 PST 2010

Dear TRNSYS users,

I am currently working on a project which involves non-orthogonal windows, shaded by horizontal overhangs. I'd like to use type 34 to model these overhangs. My windows have different slopes, from 30° to 80° with the horizontal direction.

1.     Type 109, from which the radiation inputs of type 34 come, uses the slope of my tilted windows to compute the beam radiation and the incident angle of direct radiation on this non-orthogonal surface. Is it enough to tell type 34 that my windows are not orthogonal ? Indeed, the description of the 1st parameter of type 34 reads: "Type34 assumes a vertical orientation for the window." The problem is that, my window not being vertical, an overhang doesn't have the same impact than if the window was vertical, since the window is closer to the sun's zenith angle.

2.     What length of overhang projection and overhang gap should I consider ? Mark Duffy's answer on Fri Dec 11th 2009 suggests that we should take the horizontal distance for the overhang projection, but is this right even in this case, with a non vertical window ? Should I take instead the distance in the orthogonal direction from the window to the end of the projection ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Héloïse Pelen

ETAMINE

heloise.pelen at etamine.coop <mailto:heloise.pelen at etamine.coop>

75 rue de la Villette - 69003 Lyon

Std : 04 37 45 34 20 / Fax : 04 37 45 41 38

Ld : 04 37 45 34 13

Visitez notre nouveau site web : www.etamine.coop !