[TRNSYS-users] Type60t and convergence problems

John Bisgrove jbisgrove at earthsensitive.com
Mon Jan 18 11:51:03 PST 2010

Matteo,

I use type 534 and have convergence issues. The first step I use when
debugging tank convergence is to set the tank to instantly correct thermal
inversions.

Another technique is to set your pump to speed up slowly so that the system
does not see the thermal shock. Both of these limit the model’s validity,
but each is valid for debugging purposes. Type60 has a destratification
conductivity parameter. Sounds like it might possibly help you debug. Also
increasing iterations will sometimes allow the model to find a solution
although in cases of high relative flow rates or large temperature
difference the thermal shock might be too large to allow convergence at all.

Solar can be especially problematic due to the temperatures of air-exposed
and ground-exposed liquid that enters the tank during winter startup
conditions. Adding pipe to the system can help, but sometimes it makes
matters worse.

I hope some of this advise is useful.

Good Luck,

John Bisgrove