[TRNSYS-users] Atrium simulation

Marion Hiller hiller at transsolar.com
Tue Aug 10 02:01:11 PDT 2010

Ümit,

For TRNSYS 17, one main focus was the improvement of the simulation of
highly glazed
large spaces such as multi-story atriums with respect to accuracy, user
effort and error-proneness.

In TRNSYS 17 a zone can have multiple airnodes. The solar (diffuse and
beam) radiation is distributed to all surfaces
of all airnodes of the zone. In addition, for external shading factors
of solar radiation can be
handled automatically. Also, for convex zones the incoming beam
radiation can be distributed automatically
depending on the suns position, the external shading and the zone
geometry.

In TRNSYS 16 everything has to be done manually. The atrium has to be
divided into three zone separated
by so-called fictive windows in order to allow solar radiation
penetration from one zone to another zone.
Therefore, for each zone GEOSURF factors for beam radiation have to be
defined. There was no control of Diffuse radiation.
After the transmission through the second adjacent window all solar
radiation is treated as diffuse radiation.
Thus, also the lowest zone receives solar radiation but it is
distributed as diffuse radiation.

For atrium simulation I definitely recommend to use TRNSYS 17.

Marion