[TRNSYS-users] Higher cooling demand in the north zone! - QVENT and QCOOL

Mohannad Bayoumi mohannad.b at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:46:32 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am simulating the energy demand for a floor in an office building - Lat
24.65°.

The floor has 4 main zones facing the 4 different orientations.

U-Outwall: 0.15 Wh/m2.K
U-Glass: 0.5 Wh/m2.K
G-Glass: 56 %
External shading factor: 88%

I keep getting a higher cooling demand (QCOOL) for the northern zone
against the eastern and the western ones. I tried many times with and
without inner loads and shading devices. I also tried with mechanical
ventilation - 18°C temperature of supplied air and 0.2 h^-1 Leaking.

1- What can be the reason for these surprising results?

I still can not understand why the QVENT values are in negative while the
QCOOL are in positive, although the cooling process is to lead the heat away
from the body or the space.
2- If I would like to find out the total cooling demand of a zone, should I
use the QCOOL or QVENT values, or should I add them together??

Thank you

Mohannad Bayoumi