[TRNSYS-users] mass balance error

Jones Marcus Marcus.Jones at ait.ac.at
Fri Oct 30 07:20:01 PDT 2009

I just solved a similar problem in balancing mass flow in a complex network with splitters and mixers. It's hard to follow your image in detail, but one important question would be; can you identify a single point in the network where all of the fluid passes through? ; Maybe P16 or P20? If so, you could impose the flow at one of those points using the "set flow rate" pump, and the change all other pumps to "flow rate as input". Then your system would balance itself naturally according to the mix/split fractions.

However, if your system does not have such a single "central" flow point, you must do something to set the splitter fractions yourself. In our case, it amounted to setting the splitter fractions sending the flow such that the fractional mass flow outgoing was equal to the fractional flow returning. This was done by dividing the individual flows by the total mixed flow in an equation. You really need to draw it out on paper and derive the fractions so that conservation of mass is preserved in each flow loop. I also suggest trying it on simpler cases if it isn't obvious.

For your second point, I don't think you can set a mixer to choose which stream to accept. This would require information being passed upstream of the mixer, (physically speaking this would be a pressure change). But TRNSYS doesn't model pressure driven flow. I simulate this using splitter fractions. I just noticed you're using type 11d. I don't know what this type is for - it doesn't conserve mass (generally)! I recommend the Tee-Piece instead...

Good luck, and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong in any of this!

Marcus

MARCUS JONES, MSc

Energy Department

Sustainable Building Technologies

Bitte beachten Sie unsere neuen Kontaktdaten!

Please note our new contact details!

AIT Austrian Institute of Technology

Österreichisches Forschungs- und Prüfzentrum Arsenal Ges.m.b.H.

Giefinggasse 2 | 1210 Vienna | Austria

T +43(0) 50 550-6387 | M +43(0) 664 210 24 15 | F +43(0) 50550-6598

marcus.jones at ait.ac.at | http://www.ait.ac.at