[TRNSYS-users] Problems with convergence - Problems with input/output

Robin Sluzalek RobinJS at gmx.net
Thu Oct 29 01:31:29 PDT 2009

Dear TRNSYS-users

The following mail is divided into two sections: I.) Problems and II.) simulation description:

I.) THE PROBLEMS I HAVE WITH MY SIMULATION:

FIRST PROBLEM:
- The Warning "Message 441: The inputs to the listed units have not converged at this timestep. The values at the last iteration will be used and the simulation will proceed." appears after every single timestep. Every unit except the plotters are listed.

APPROACH TO THE FIRST PROBLEM:
-  I already tried variing the timestep - I decreased it up to 0.3hr and increased it to 2hr. That doesn't help
- I increased the "tolerance convergence" up to 5! That helped, the warnings are gone, but that is like cheating. Furthermore the results I receive differ very much from these I get when the "tolerance convergence" is left at 0.001.
- an employee of trnsys suggested to work with Type2 (Differntial controller with hysteresis) but I can't use a hysteresis in my simulation

SECOND PROBLEM:
- The outlet temperature of "Type11h-4" and the outlet tempereature of "V3" are not the same. (FOR MORE INFORMATION JUST CONTINUE READING)

APPROACH TO THE FIRST PROBLEM:
- I wonder if it's because of the convergence problems I have.

II.) SIMULATION DESCRIPTION:

The simulation is about a chilled water circle. I added two links to show i.) the circle without the controller and ii.) to show the circle WITH the controller.

i.) http://mitglied.lycos.de/ITF/TRNSYS/NEWNEW_chilled_water_cycle_without_controller_shown.jpg

ii.) http://mitglied.lycos.de/ITF/TRNSYS/NEWNEW_chilled_water_cycle.jpg

The main components of the simulation are
a.) a load (TYPE 682) increases inlet temperature: Toutload = Tinload + Q_load / (M*cp)
b.) an absorption chiller (TYPE229) decreases inlet temperature: Toutchiller = Tinchiller - Q_chiller / (M*cp)
c.) a storage tank for the chilled water (TYPE 60, one inlet, one outlet)
d.) 4 Valves (Type11f)
e.) 4 Tee-Pieces (Type11h)
f.) my controller (TYPE258)

The outputs of my controller are:
- One Signal for each Valve
- A set massflow which is the input of "V3"
- Cooling demand which is an input for the absorption chiller.

The Component order follows the massflow:

- External cooling demand = Q_load (input for my controller and the load)
- Controller 258
- V3
- absorption chiller
- Type 11h3
- V1
- storage
- V4
- Type 11h
- V2
- Load
- Type 11h2
- Type 11h4

The outputs of every component are: outlet temperature, outlet massflow

I hope despite of the long text you can help me with my two problems above or give me some helpful advice. Maybe you have some general advice for me, what I should take care of.
If you need more information, like source code etc. don't hesitate to ask.

best regards,

Robin Sluzalek