[TRNSYS-users] Variable Refrigerant Flow System in TRNSYS

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Wed Oct 21 10:57:32 PDT 2009

Hello Fred,

We have not done a VRF (VRV) system in TRNSYS. It seems like it would be a
controller mess. Nonetheless, it would be possible yet very complicated.
Jeff said it would be similar to modeling super market refrigeration.
Another complicaiton would be the refrigerant rountines. There is the
Type58 which does the R-134a and a few others but not R-410a. As mentioned
in an earlier email on the TRNSYS Users List, there is REFPROP from NIST
that is a DLL that could be referenced for more refrigerant properties.
Also, perhaps EES could be used to model some of the refrigerant
properties and use the Type66, Calling EES component, to couple your
TRNSYS-EES simulation. The downside of this is the slower simulation
speed.

On a side note, my uncle's HVAC company here in Madison, Commercial Air,
installed a VRF system (Mitsubishi City-Multi) in their newly remodeled
office. All of the employees are happy and comfortable. Please let me know
if you would like to check it out sometime, and I will make arrangements.

Best regards,

Matt Duffy