[TRNSYS-users] Help Using TYPE 10 -- Rockbed Storage

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Fri Nov 20 09:04:52 PST 2009

<I'm trying to understand the actual coding behind TYPE 10.  I am having a
difficult time understanding why TYPE 10 only allows positive flow in one
location and not both the top and bottom.  Why is this? Is the fluid
coming in and out of TYPE 10 a closed loop?>

The flow can only either go in the top and out the bottom or in the bottom
and out the top during one timestep.  When the model was written this was
the most common way of configuring rock bed storage.  Having simultaneous
flow in and out of locations at the top of th storage was/is thought to
short-circuit the rock-bed and effectively bypass the storage.

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC

22 North Carroll Street - Suite 370