[TRNSYS-users] Convergency problem - using type 534

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:24:44 PST 2009

Lucas,

You have already tried two of the “usual suggestions” to get a simulation to
converge: reducing the time step and making sure tank nodes are not too
small compared to the volume of fluid that enters them during one time step.
I am afraid can only make generic recommendations, but here they are:

- Try re-arranging the components in a different order (“Component order”
tab of the control cards). I usually tend to place the tanks at the very end
of the calling order, the logic being that they have more thermal mass so
it’s no big deal if the other components use the value of previous time step
as a starting point. I also try to put the controllers after the components
they depend on for the control decision, and for the rest I try to use a
logical order. Ooviously you have to make a choice at some point as most
system have closed information loops so the order cannot be completely
logical. This sounds a bit like wishful thinking but it has worked in many
cases for me.

- Add pipes in the model if you haven’t done so until now. Usually anything
with thermal mass or time delay helps with convergence, although in your
case the storage tank seems to be at the heart of the problem.

- Make sure the flowrate controls are synchronized with the actual system
operation. I have seen some simulations where a device was set off (e.g. a
heat pump) without turning the pump off at the same time. If that loop is
connected to, say an immersed heat exchanger in a tank, you could end up
with a closed fluid loop with very small temperature differences that cause
non-convergences.

What usually works for me is a combination of all of the above (including
what you did already) – and lots of coffee

Best wishes,
Michaël

Michaël Kummert
École Polytechnique Montréal