[TRNSYS-users] type 536 linear parabolic concentrator

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Tue Mar 17 10:53:19 PDT 2009

<I am using type 536 (linear parabolic concentrator) and I have a simple
question: How do I calculate the total surface of solar field? Is it
simply: "Number of collectors in series"x"Number of collectors in
parallel"x"Aperture area"? I ask because it always seems like I need an
awfully large surface if this is the equation I need.>

The Type 536 model has changed over the last year so I'm not sure which
version you are using.  However, the Studio proforma for the Type 536
model wil answer your question.  Using the "more" button next to the
aperture area parameter will state whether the model is expecting the
total array area or the area for one of the modules.  If indeed the model
you are using is looking for the area of one of the modules then the total
area needed is indeed the area * #Series * #Parallel.

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC

2916 Marketplace Drive - Suite 104