[TRNSYS-users] Max heat load calculation

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Wed Jun 17 10:52:03 PDT 2009

Dear Marshall,

Unfortunately, I have not used the max heat load calculation function in
TRNBuild, but it most likely sounds like some directory is not referenced
properly or permissions issues with windows. On the other hand, when I
wish to see the max heating load from my simulation throughout the course
of the year, I integrate (Type24) the output of TRNBUILD/Type56 NTYPE 30,
QHEAT, hourly (kJ/hr --> kJ) and print the results (Type25). I then open
the results in Excel and search for the maximum value. Although this might
seem like quite the caveman approach, it seems to work just fine.

For your next issue, please reference wikipedia or any heat transfer text.

# thermal resistance (R value) = t/k, measured in K·m**2·W**−1;
where "t" is the thickness(m) and "k" is the thermal conductivity (W/mK)

Please note that when you define layers for your walls they can be either
"massive" or "massless". The massless layer is simply a resistance
(R-Value in SI units). You obviously do not define a thickness for a
resitive, "massless" layer as the heat transfer is going to be a function
of the wall area; however, for the "massive" layer and to answer your
question, it is required that you define a thickness for each layer of
your wall in the TRNBUILD "wall typemanager". Yes, you can either grab a
wall or a layer from the provided libraries. The "wall typemanager" will
specify the appropriate thicknesses of each layer.

For reference

R-1 (1 h ft^2 F/ BTU) = 0.048919 h m^2 K / kJ

1 h m^2 K / kJ = 3.6 m^2 K / W

Best regards,

Matt Duffy