[TRNSYS-users] Use of type9

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Thu Jun 4 08:35:36 PDT 2009

Dear SECK CHEIKH,
CC: Darryl, TRNSYS Users

We've had a couple of questions regarding Type9 that I will try to answer.

First of all, the documentation (Vol. 5 Mathematical Reference section
5.12.1) and the provided TRNSYS example (.\Example\Reading Data
Files\DataReader.tpf) is always a good place to start. The Vol. 4
Input/Output/Parameter Manual (page 4-709) will also be very helpful for
this component as there are 6 different modes of operation.

Second, the data file is to be as simple as possible. It is a
tab-delimited text. If you have multiple columns of data, you will have to
note that in Parameter 3.

Simply go through all of the Parameters for Type9 for your specific data
file, and make sure they are appropriate. You can always click on the
"More" button for more information. I usually use the simple Type9a free
format, generic data reader. Make sure your simulation time matches the
time of year of your data. If you are reading radiation data, make sure
you do not interpolate ("-1" for Parameter 5...), and connect it
appropriately to Type16 to process your radiation data.

Last and most importantly, connect your Type9 up to an online plotter to
make sure it is reading correctly. If not you will have to alter the
appropriate parameters.

Best regards,

Matt Duffy