[TRNSYS-users] "Tank in Tank" thermal storage

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Jul 30 09:29:42 PDT 2009

<I have been looking among all the types for the thermal storage but I can
not say which one could model a "Tank in Tank" thermal storage. Do yo
think Tess Type 534 would be appropriate or is there another type which
best fit the "Tank in Tank" storage system?>

We're in the process of writing a tank-in-tank model but it won't be ready
for a few weeks.  In the meantime, Type 531-534 can model Tank-in-tank
systems with a few limitations.  You won't be able to account for
stratification/destratification due to conductivity as the model does not
consider this for the HX (in this case your immersed tank is just a large
HX).  You also won't be able to account for the losses from the immersed
tank to the large tank from the top and bottom surface.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC