[TRNSYS-users] solar control glazing

Romain GOURDON romain.gourdon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 08:33:54 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I'm trying to study the way solar control glazings work. This type of
glazing is selective, so supposed to let the main part of visible radiation
go through the the window (Tv) while it stops the main part of short wave
radiation. A non selective (normal) glazing and a solar control glazing with
the same characteristics (g and Ug) are supposed to have differents
behaviour. The first one wil let more IR radiation and less visible
radiation go through the window than the second one.

For exemple, in summer, at midday, while the external shading device is on
(value=1) all the short and longue wave radiation from outside is stopped
but the shading device's temperature increases and its IR radiation to the
glazing too. A solar control glazing should stop more IR radiative energy
than a normal glazing. So the solar control glazing should be more efficient
preventing summer indoor temperature increases. I would like to see this
phenomena.

According to what is explained in the TRNSYS manual, the IR radiation of the
external shading device is not calculated and I the transmission of
radiation (short and long wave) is calculated with the same solar factor. In
other words, there are solar control glazings in the lib but their
selectivity is not programmed. Am I right?
So it's not possible to study the solar control glazings with TRNSYS (?)

Kind regards
Romain GOURDON (Enertech)