[TRNSYS-users] "Unable to start the Matlab Engine" using MATLAB R14 Type 155

Eric Wilson eric.jh.wilson at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 22 11:00:37 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am using TRNSYS version 16.01.0002 trying to run the "Calling Matlab"
example.  I am using Matlab 7.0 (R14), although Matlab 2006 was previously
installed on this computer so that might be causing problems.

I get the error:
"Access violation at address 04ED1457 in module 'libeng.dll'. Read of
address 00000004."

followed by:
"An unexpected error was encountered and TRNSYS will abort."

The log file reads "Message: Unable to start the Matlab Engine".

I opened the Type155.tmf file and noticed that on the "Files" tab the
"Source Code File" path is ".\SourceCode\Types\Type155.f90".  However, this
file is not located at that path, but rather at
".\SourceCode\Optional\Type155.f90"

I tried copying it (and those four .lib files) to the Types directory.
Clicking the "Edit" button will now find the file, but clicking "Compile
Module" still can't find the file in this location.

I have the Windows search path properly set to "C:\Matlab\bin\win32"

How do I make sure the routine is linked with the libeng.lib, libmat.lib,
libmex.lib and libmx.lib files?

I have tried copying these files from the Matlab installation
(C:\Matlab\extern\lib\win32\...) to the "SourceCode\Optional\" directory.
However, there are several versions of each file. How do I know which folder
to get them from (i.e. watcom, microsoft, lcc, digital borland)?  My Fortran
compiler is Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6.0 (Microsoft Visual Studio DF98).

Do I need to recompile Type155, as suggested by Diego in a previous
message?  I assume that this is done by clicking "Compile Module" on the
"Files" tab of Type155.tmf, however I get an error as mentioned above.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Eric Wilson
Building Systems Program
University of Colorado at Boulder