[TRNSYS-users] Controlling heating/cooling equipment

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 02:29:13 PDT 2008

Knut,

I often use Type 23 (PID) for systems such as the one you describe. If it is
acting like an on-off controller you probably need to tune the parameters,
and possibly reduce the time step. In my experience, for cases such as the
one you mentioned, you can sometimes do with a time step of 15 min or so if
you accept some excursions above/below the setpoint but rarely with one
hour. The required time step depends on the system but for most HVAC systems
I tend to use something between 1 and 15 minutes in "temperature control"
mode.
The PID parameter tuning can be time consuming but by starting with a low
gain, no derivative action and an integral time equal to the time step you
can usually get a valid starting point (if somewhat sluggish). Then you just
get a cup of coffee (or sometimes a large pot), find a typical situation in
which you want to achieve a good control (e.g. one day), and start playing
with the P, I and D constants. One useful thing is to look at outputs 3, 4,
5 and 6 of the PID. They give the unsaturated control signal and the
breakdown between the proportional, integral and derivative parts. This can
help you understand the impact of changes in the parameters or why it is not
doing what you think it should do.

Type 22 was an attempt to provide a controller that would not require fine
tuning but I have to say that I have only been able to use it successfully
in a few cases where there is no/little thermal mass in the controlled loop
- it also has a strong tendency to blow-up simulations. In other words I
tend not to use it.

Hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert
ESRU - University of Strathclyde