[TRNSYS-users] Some questions about Type 56

Cramer Silkworth silkworth at transsolar.com
Fri Oct 17 07:53:56 PDT 2008

Knut Erik,

According to the Type 56 manual, the slope is used to calculate the view factor of the window to the sky:

"For an unobstructed surface with the slope β, FSKY is calculated by
the following equation: FSKY= (1+cosβ)/2 (i.e. 1 for a horizontal surface, 0.5 for a vertical surface
with unobstructed view ). The value is used as a weighting factor between ambient and sky
temperature and thereby especially important for windows."

However, I just did a quick test, and despite changing the slope of window the value of FSKY in the .bui file does not change. Curious...

-Cramer
J. Cramer Silkworth
Transsolar Climate Engineering
Technical consulting for energy efficiency and environmental quality in buildings.
145 Hudson Street
Suite 402
New York, NY 10013
Office: 212-219-2255