[TRNSYS-users] Type 56 building template for greenhouses

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Wed Oct 8 06:51:44 PDT 2008

David,

Thanks for replying to my message on the Forum.

I plan to use Type 56 together with a new model component I have
implemented which models heat and humidity transfer from the plants to the
zone. I wonder if I can ask you some questions about your greenhouse
modelling?

Did your greenhouse consist of just a single Type 56 zone, or several?
Maybe two zones: One for the main compartment and one for the top
compartment?

How did you define the walls? I have tried to define very thin walls with
huge windows, but have problems with the timebase because the walls are so
lightweight. Do you think I can use a massless wall?

Also, did you use one huge window for each wall or many smaller windows?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,
Knut Erik

             David Bradley
             <bradley at tess-inc
                                       knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
             10/06/2008 05:41                                           cc
             PM                        trnsys-users at engr.wisc.edu
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [TRNSYS-users] Type 56 building
                                       template for greenhouses

Knut-Erik,
 Not that I am aware of - when we have had to model greenhouses, they have
just been normal Type56 zones with a lot of windows. I have even had pretty
good luck getting Window5 to come up with window properties for some of the
glazing materials that are used in greenhouses but not in buildings
(celular plastic panels, etc.). There are some problems with treating the
greenhouse as a typical Type56 zone in that Type56 does not account for
beam radiation that passes right through a zone as is the case when you get
a large fraction of windows. I asked a similar question on this forum some
time ago and got some useful help.... the thread is attached below:

NIVAs hovedkontor har flyttet til nye lokaler i CIENS - Forskningssenter
for miljø og samfunn; Gaustadalléen 21, 0349 Oslo. Meld deg på vårt
nyhetsbrev på www.niva.no