[TRNSYS-users] GenOpt variations on Type56

William.Logie at solarenergy.ch William.Logie at solarenergy.ch
Mon Nov 17 09:01:58 PST 2008

Thanks for the tips Jeff,

Through their use I was able to determine that my problem occurs when our non-standard type receives a non-zero flow input. With a near- or non-zero flow initialisation a NaN iteration error is caught in simulation studio which led me to the discovery that until the loop pump is activated, the GenOpt-called simulation runs (to the 106th hour to be precise). Enforcing a permanently zero flow to this type allows GenOpt to run TRNExe without hanging. The fact that simulation studio runs with our specific flow rate but a GenOpt-called run doesn't baffles me a little.

This leads me to the question; why does our non-standard type incur problems when called from GenOpt and not when run from within simulation studio; how does the data stream between these programs bring about such behaviour? We are willing to accept that our type is not perfect (that it has some NaN or overflow by near-zero flow or other such circumstances) but I'm not sure how to isolate the problem further than this.

Cheers,
William Logie
Forschung / Research
Institut für Solartechnik SPF: Adresse<http://www.solarenergy.ch/spf.php?lang=de&fam=44&tab=3> / Website<http://www.solarenergy.ch/spf.php?lang=de&fam=41&tab=1>