[TRNSYS-users] GenOpt variations on Type56

William.Logie at solarenergy.ch William.Logie at solarenergy.ch
Thu Nov 13 01:44:19 PST 2008

Dear Trnsys Users,

I am introducing myself to the features of TRNSYS gradually, the most recent project with which requires some optimisation of parameters in a Type56 multi-zone building. I am using GenOpt to call a *.bui template (the *.dck remains the same and as such is not altered by GenOpt) to alter the parameters of an active slab heating layer; in particular, variations over the pipe spacing and thickness of the slab.

I have tried the example from Michaël Kummert (Using GenOpt with TRNSYS16 and Type56 - 2007-02-15) which works perfectly. However when I apply the method to my project, GenOpt parses the GenOptRun.dck to TRNExe.exe (in which my *.bui file is defined) but the simulation hangs in the first time step indefinitely. The last lines printed to the GenOptRun.lst file are following:

*** The TRNSYS components will be called in the following order:
      Unit #  109   Type #  109
      Unit #   69   Type #   69
      Unit #  331   Type #   33
      Unit #  200   Type #    2
      Unit #   15   Type #  201
      Unit #   56   Type #   56
      Unit #   28   Type #    2
      Unit #   27   Type #    2
      Unit #   23   Type #    3
      Unit #   21   Type #   11
      Unit #   26   Type #  869
      Unit #   24   Type #    3
      Unit #   20   Type #    5
      Unit #   22   Type #   11
      Unit #   35   Type #   65
      Unit #   36   Type #   65
      Unit #   34   Type #   65
      Unit #   31   Type #   28
      Unit #   33   Type #   65

Interestingly enough when I call the same GenOptRun.dck that GenOpt tries to parse to TRNExe from a command line directly (e.g. 'C:\Trnsys16_1\Exe\TRNExe.exe "C:\Trnsys16_1\MyProjects\project1\GenOptRun.dck" /n') the simulation runs without hanging.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
William Logie
Forschung / Research