[TRNSYS-users] Several Building Files

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 02:54:05 PST 2008

Michael,

As David said you can only have one unit of Type 56 in a simulation.
However, there are two workarounds that might work for you depending on the
number of buildings and their complexity:

1. There is no requirements for zones in Type 56 to be connected in any way.
So as long as you remain within the maximum limit for the total number of
zones you can actually simulate different buildings. Assuming the maximum
number of zones is 99 (which I think is a safe limit currently) you could
conceivably simulate 99 independent 1-zone buildings.

2. If you can use the open-source version of Type 56 and you have the CVF
compiler there is a way to use more than one unit. It is longer to
implement, not super-clean and probably not practical for more than 2 or 3
buildings but it might work for you:
- Save a copy of the Type 56 source code files with a different name, e.g.
...Type256... instead of ...Type56....
- Edit the files to change the type number (e.g. to 256) - Be careful to
change all instances including the DLL export line.
- Compile and link. You will get warning or errors about duplicate
subroutines. Go through these routines one by one and change their
definition (and all the call statements) to use a different name. Assuming
you are dealing with the subroutine called "setup" you would need to rename
it to e.g. "setup256", in the subroutine declaration and each time it is
used. And do the same for each subroutine that causes a conflict.
When you have removed all conflicts, compile and link, and use the Type256
for your second building.
Note that the Type56 proforma is handled differently from others by the
Studio so I am not sure you will be able to edit it to replace the Type
number (change to 256) and keep all the functionality. But you can
definitely use your new Type 256 in text mode (TRNEdit).

Note: I have not confirmed that this works with the current TRNSYS version.
The last time I used this trick for Type56 was with TRNSYS 15. But I have
done it for other "single-unit" types in TRNSYS 16 and it does work.

If you do try the second method, it would be nice to report back to the
list.

Good luck!

Michaël Kummert
ESRU - University of Strathclyde