[TRNSYS-users] Comparing residential air conditioner and air-cooled chiller

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Thu May 29 04:30:18 PDT 2008

Dear TRNSYS users,

I have a simulation project where I want to compare usage of chilled water
to cool a house instead of a traditional residential air conditioner. The
water, after being used for cooling during daytime and thereby heated up,
is recooled the following night when the outside air temperature is lower
than at daytime and by using an air-cooled chiller. I wish to compare the
two systems, chiller at nighttime vs. air conditioner at daytime,  when it
comes to energy efficiency and power consumption. Therefore, I need the air
conditioner model and the chiller model to be as similar as possible
regarding capacity and power consumption when they are operating under the
same conditions. I have looked into the TESS Types for modelling air-cooled
chiller and residential air conditioner, but these are all based on catalog
performance data and I generally think it is hard to find all the data I
need to set up two comparable models. My question is: Does anyone know a
website where I easily can find the data I need, or perhaps someone knows
of a simpler, but yet realistic, way of comparing the two cooling
approaches, using alternative component models. Again, the important aspect
is to relate removal of energy from air or water to efficiency depending on
outside air conditions.

All ideas and suggestions about this will be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Knut Erik Enerstvedt

NIVAs hovedkontor har flyttet til nye lokaler i CIENS - Forskningssenter
for miljø og samfunn; Gaustadalléen 21, 0349 Oslo. Meld deg på vårt
nyhetsbrev på www.niva.no