[TRNSYS-users] type 557a's question

LiDapeng jiap1120 at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 13:16:23 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I have several questions when I use type 557a to simulation ground heat exchanger in GSHP system.

1.
I found that "the local heat transfer resistance from the fluid to the
ground (or borehole thermal resistance) may depend on the flow
condition, i.e.,it can be temperature and flow dependent" mentioned in
some papers. I want to know how do I set parameters in type 557 to
realize this function. And may you explain the calculating approach of
borehole theraml resistance for you?

2. I check the source code of type 557, and found the following codes in line 525-528:
      OUT(9) =TUTMED(0)
      OUT(10)=TUTMED(1)
      DO 47 I=1,NRLOC-1
        IF (I.LE.10) OUT(10+I)=TUTMED(NRLOC+1-I)

If I set the parameter 6 and 7 to 2, i.e., 2 boreholes are connected in
series and the storage volume will be divided into 2 radial subregions,
which temperature do OUT(9), OUT(10) and OUT(11) represent?

3.
The DST model (refer to the paper writed by Pahud, D et al 1996) offer
the possibility of having several ground layers that cross the storage
region, and in source code of Type 557 also mentioned that "IF
(PAR(9).LT.(-1.D-6)) THEN The thermal properties inside the storage
volume may vary from layer to layer. They are set as those outside the
storage volume". but when I set PAR(9) less than 0 (such as -1) and set
PAR(39) numbers of ground layers to 3, furthermore set the thickness of
layer-1 is 20m, the thickness of layer-2 is 30m and the thickness of
layer-3 is 100 (I also set the PAR(2) Borehole depth to 100m), then I
run the project and the error message "range check error" was appeared.
I have no idea why.

I hopefully look forward to your answers.
Thank you in advance!

Dapeng Li