[TRNSYS-users] PCM Wall model : type 204

Sylvain Chatz sylvain.chatz at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 8 17:22:01 PST 2008

Good evening,
I am Sylvain CHATZ from ENERCOBAT engineering office, working in France on high performant buildings design.
It's my first time on this list and my concern is about PCM layers simulation on TRNSYS 16.1.
I've tried to use "type 204" proposed on SEL web site, but documentation and example supplied are not enough for my understanding.

My questions are about the SUNSPACE example supplied into the files package loaded :
There are 2 air zones in the TRNBUILD type 56 model of this example : SunZone and BackZone.
SunZone is where "PCM wall" has been installed. So :

- How to make the difference if we want "PCM layer" into all walls surfaces from SunZone, or only into some of them?

- Why the resistance of the "PCM massless layer" created in TRNBUILD is only 0.1 m².K.h/kJ?

- Why the "PCM wall" using the "PCM massless layer" into SunZone (boundary wall calling T_PCM input) presents a so small surface of 0.2 m²?

- Why QCOMI is taken from the same "PCM Wall" (14) and not from other walls?

- Do we have to change values into the 4 text external files supplied (NodeTemp.txt, Tila.txt, Ceff1.txt, ALKU.txt) or do we only have to call their path?

- Why the PCMeT (average surface temperature of "PCM wall") calculated by type 204 is sent to the boundary "PCM wall" input (T_PCM) into type 56 ?
                    type 204 receives QCOMI from 0.2 m² surface (14), and T_AIR from SunZone volume,
                    then it calculates and sends T_PCM to boundary input for 0.2 m² surface (14)
                    => I don't see in which way this sequence allows modelization of PCM introduction into a wall?

I certainly missed some key points to understand the principle of this model. Many thanks by advance if somebody could explain how it works.
Regards
Sylvain