[TRNSYS-users] Type 557 : what is the borehole configuration?

Francois francois.badinier at icax.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 03:28:34 PDT 2008

Hi All

I am wondering what the configuration of the borehole is.

When you look at the parameters list in the proforma, we can read that the
volume storage has a cylindrical shape and that its volume can be calculated
as following :

Storage Volume = Pi * Number of Boreholes * Borehole Depth * (0.525 *
Borehole Spacing)^2

What does this mean about the configuration in the cylindrical volume of
ground?

I see it is the volume of ground surrounding one borehole, the outer
diameter of the ground cylinder being half of the spacing, times the number
of boreholes

But I struggle to see what configuration it is in the cylinder of ground.

And also, is the energy transfer independent for each borehole, or does the
spacing influences it? (i.e the geometrical layout is important)

How far are the boreholes from the side of the ground cylinder?

Thanks for some help

PS : by the way, it would have been nice to have access to the
parameters/inputs/outputs description in the table where we set them, (as
usual), instead of having to go in the proforma everytime
 in case of
someone is able to add this feature.

François Badinier

Development Engineer