[TRNSYS-users] type107 or 680 data file

Mario Leroy Ortiz ortizm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 29 23:17:45 PDT 2008

Jochen,

What I did to create the .dat file is as follows:

I used your algorithm.

I calculated the 'cooling required' for the rated 5.5 C
temperature change.  The spreadsheet says 70.287 kW but
I could have just used the stated capacity of 70.3 kW.

Then I calculated the 'available cooling capacity' given
hot, cool and chilled water inlet temperatures.  I
followed
the Yazaki cooling capacity formula and multiplied rated
capacity by heat flow correction and cooling capacity
factor.

Then I divided 'cooling required' by 'available cooling
capacity' to get the capacity fraction.  This value is
the fraction that runs down the left side of the page
starting at the 5th line of the .dat file.  I did this
for different inlet hot and cool water temperature.
(The column G label in the spread sheet should say
cooling available.)

To calculate the design energy input fraction, I
first used the Yazaki heat input equation to calculate
'required
heat' given operating conditions.  I multiplied the 'rated
heat input' by heat flow correction and heat input factor.

I divided 'required heat' by the 'rated heat input' to
calculate
the design energy input fraction.  This is the second
column of
numbers that run down the left side of the .dat file.

Let me reference the comment "fraction of design load"
from the
.dat file.  This is the line that has 1.0 and 0.8.  The
fractions calculated in the previous paragraphs are for
the fraction
of design load of 1.0 (full load).  The capacity fraction
is the
same for 1.0 and 0.8.  The design energy input fraction
for 0.8
is the the design energy input fraction for 1.0 multiplied
by 0.8.
I suppose this represents the case where only 80% of the
rated
delta T is required so 80% of the heat is need to remove
it.
By inspecting the example .dat file is where I figured out
how
to get the different fraction of design loads from the
calculated
data at 1.0.  It seems to be the pattern.  I must state
that
I did not test any TRNSYS output below full load
capacity,,, yet.

So that s what I did.  I have had no complaints.  About 7
or 8
people all over the world have the files.

Now differentiating between "fraction of design load" and
"fraction of full load capacity".

There is a fraction of design load comment in the .dat
file as
described above.  I take this to mean the required heat
input divided
by available heat input.

To confuse matters, in the documentation for type 680
there is a
symbol f^designload where f^designload = Q^remove /
capacity^rated.
This formula is similar or the same as the formula used
to calculate the capacity fraction above.

Then there is fraction of full load capacity in the
documention
represented by f^fullloadcapacity.  I am going to take a
guess
and say that that represents the fraction of design load
in the
.dat file.

How do you like that a full circle of confusion.  Terms in
the .dat
file seem to be mixed up.  Either that or I am mixed up.
 Probably
both and more so the later.

Like I said.  The tests I ran for 9 operating conditions
at full
load match hand calculations of delta T within the range
of 0.03 oC.
That where I am at.

Thank you,

Mario Ortiz