[TRNSYS-users] thermodynamic cycle

Diego Alejandro Arias daarias at uwalumni.com
Thu Feb 21 06:56:26 PST 2008

Dear Bertrand,

There were two Master's thesis at the Solar Energy Laboratory,
University of Wisconsin-Madison, that studied power cycles connected
to concentrating solar systems:
-McMahan, A. C., (M.S., 2006), "Design & Optimization of Organic
Rankine Cycle Solar-Thermal Powerplants"
-Patnode, A.M., (M.S., 2006), "Simulation and Performance Evaluation
of Parabolic Trough Solar Power Plants"
You can access them on this link:
http://sel.me.wisc.edu/publications/theses/theses2.html

If I understand correctly, they found out that trying to simulate the
thermodynamic power cycle directly in TRNSYS, for long term
simulations, was not easy and it was very computationally intensive.
The alternative was to model the cycle in EES, and then derive a
correlation. This correlation was then used in TRNSYS, linked to a
more complex system.

Good luck in your research.

Diego