[TRNSYS-users] Incident Angle Modifier - With only one value oflongit IAM

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 01:54:42 PST 2008

Edward,

For typical designs (e.g. evacuated tube collectors) the longitudinal IAM is
usually close to a "standard flat-plate" IAM, so I believe the usual ASHRAE
equation would give a reasonable approximation:
IAM = 1-b0 (1/cos(theta)-1)
So in your case you could fit the b0 parameter to match the one value you
have and then use the equation to generate longitudinal IAM values to fill
in your matrix.
I have to say, however, that your only value for the longitudinal IAM (0.85
at 40°) seems low compared to what I am used to see (typically the value at
50° is provided, and it is around 0.9). If that value is correct it might
indicate that the simple ASHRAE equation is not adapted at all to your
collector design.

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert
ESRU - University of Strathclyde