[TRNSYS-users] radiation

Jeroen Van der Veken Jeroen.VanderVeken at bwk.kuleuven.be
Sun Dec 21 14:14:03 PST 2008

Dear collegues,
I want to model the dynamics of the combination of an hydronic radiator
and the wall behind it more in detail. To simulate the behaviour of the
wall behind the radiator, I added an extra zone. This seems to work
fine, but I ran into another problem.

Usually when modelling a radiator in TRNSYS, the radiation sent out by
the radiator is regarded as a radiative gain. But regarding comfort,
this is not correct, since this implies that the radiation is leaving
from the zone point in the centre and only the part that is reflected by
the walls is then felt by the person standing in the same zone point. In
reality a part of the radiation will reach the person directly.

So I built a wall with the same surface and temperature as the radiator
and a very low convective heat transfer so that only radiation would
occur and not convection.
This is working fine at the backside of the radiator, but doesn't at the
front; the average surface temperature and operative temperature of the
zone seem OK, but the Qcomi of the hot surface is much too high. Qcomi
only gives a reasonable value (close to the calculated value for
radiation) when I reduce the size of the other walls in the room.

Is this strange behaviour caused by the star network ? or another
simplification in TRNSYS? or did I do something wrong ?
I guess I can simply avoid the problem by recalculating the operative
temperature myself, but I wanted to use the same strategy to model
stratification of air above the radiator. Or is there another method to
model stratification; to build an imaginary wall between two zones that
allows to have two zone temperatures but can still be transparant for
long wave radiation ?

Is it possible to change the long wave emissivity of inner wall surfaces ?

And is it still possible to change the time base of the transfer
coefficient calculations ? I seem to remember that I could change it
manually, but I can't find it anymore...

I guess TRNSYS16 is not the ideal building simulator for this kind of
intrazonal problems, but all my other heating system models are working
fine, so it would be nice to stick to it !

Thanks for reading and hopefully answering some of my questions,
best regards,
Jeroen Van der Veken