[TRNSYS-users] Error creating transfer function coefficients

Kim Goethals kim.goethals at ugent.be
Mon Nov 19 09:01:16 PST 2007

Hello,

I found the following message. My model suffers from the same problem. Isn't there an easier way to simulate
a very thick insulated wall? I tried the following: I splitted the wall with for example 5 layers in two walls,
respectively with 2 and 3 layers. I define the same surface, orientation and the same CHTC's. I only incorporate
the window in one of the two walls. From comparing the simulations of both test cases, I conclude that
this option doesn't work. Please some feedback and hopefully a solution.

Thanks in advance,

best regards.

Dimitris,

Unfortunately, I am not sure that there is a simple workaround to your
problem. The algorithm that TRNBuild uses to choose the coefficients to
describe the wall does not work for very thick or in some cases, very
high capacitance walls. The only solution that I can think of off hand
is to write your own model for the very thick wall (probably using a
method similar to the way that storage tanks and the rock bed thermal
storage models are written). This model could then be attached to a
Type56 boundary wall that represents the inside surface of your wall.
Your wall model would take the inside wall surface temperature
(calculated by Type56) and would return the temperature at the interface
between the Type56 boundary wall and the wall in your model. If you
would like to send me your .bui file, I would be happy to take a look at
it and comment if there are other possible workarounds to your problem.

Kind regards,
 david