[TRNSYS-users] Converting data reader to TRNSYS 16

Steven Long stevenlong at earthlink.net
Mon May 28 10:20:13 PDT 2007

Hi:

I'm converting a series of decks to TRNSYS 16.  When I run the decks using
TRNSYS 16 source code with the deck version as "15"  I don't get any
radiation or data problems, beyond the warning about the new start time
convention.  My results are similar to TRNSYS 15.

I then converted the decks to "version 16" and made the changes to the type
9 that are described in the user manual.  I'm using TMY data for the entire
year, but I'm not using all columns of the entire TMY file, so I'm not using
the default TMY reader mode.  Now when I run these decks, I got the
following results:

1.                   Many type 16 errors due to radiation exceeding the SC.

2.                   A minimum collector temperature that is below anything
in the data file.

3.                   Similar overall results to TRNSYS 15.

My  type 9 is as follows:

(Idn=input 2,ih= input 3)

UNIT 1 TYPE 9 DATA READER

PARAMETERS 34

3 0 7 1

1 1 0 0

-2 1 0 0

-3 1 0 0

4 1 0 0

5 1 0 0

6 1 0 0

7 1 0 0

10 -1

I have tried various modes and get similar errors.  If I add one "starter"
line to the TMY file and change to mode 5/6, I get fewer radiation errors.

I also looked at type 16 and it appeared that this changed as well:

UNIT 66 TYPE 16 RADIATION PROCESSOR

PARAMETERS 9

* RADMODE TRACKMODE TILTMODE DAY        LAT        SC         SHFT
SMOOTH

4         1         2        ZSTARTDAX1 GLATITUDC1 XSOLARCOC1 ZSHIFTLOC1 2

* IE

-1

INPUTS 7

* I        IDN        TD1        TD2        RHOG       BETAI      GAMMAI

1,3 1,2 1,99 1,100 0,0        0,0        0,0

0          0          0          0          ZGROUNDRC1 GCOLSLOPC1 GCOLAZIMC1

It appears that the smooth mode is no longer used and the last parameter
should be -1.  Looking at the documentation, it was unclear what inputs 3
and 4 should be as they are listed as 19,20 in type 16, but the older
convention of 99,100 is still indicated in the type 9 documentation.

Do you have any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Steven Long