[TRNSYS-users] solar fraction of solar chilled ceiling system

Bjoern Nienborg bjoern.nienborg at ise.fraunhofer.de
Thu Mar 15 08:37:24 PDT 2007

Hello together,

for my simulation of a solar cooled building I want to determine the
solar fraction. The system works without backup (so, if solar power is
to low, room temperature rises above set temperature). This I  calculate
the cooling load in a separate simulation, then I divide the produced
cooling power (which I suppose is entirely transmitted to the building)
by the cooling load. So far so well.

Problem No. 1 is that I use a hysteresis controller which has my
building cooled from 26°C to 24°C. If I calculate the cooling load for
26°C I may get values greater 1 for the solar fraction since the
building is cooled down to 24°C. If  I take 24°C for calculating the
cooling load I make it bigger than it acutally is. Does anyone have an
idea how to solve this problem?

Problem No. 2: I have a 3-zone building. One zone is cooled by a chilled
ceiling, the remaining two by providing the active layer in the floor
(floor heating) with cold water. Even in july/august, when all 3 rooms
are above set-temperature a great part of the time, I get solar
fractions of min. 43% (for 24°C-cooling load) and min. 62% (for 26°C
cooling load). To me this seems too much. Is it possible that I mustn't
compare cold from active layers directly to the cold load  (Qcool-demand
output of the building)??

I use the operative temperature for controlling my system. To obtain the
cooling load I calculate the required set temperature input for every
zone from the mean surface temperature in a seperate equation.

I hope i explained myself. Thanks for any help!

Björn

--
Björn Nienborg
Thermal Systems and Buildings