[TRNSYS-users] Surprising phenomenon with Type 67

fdominguezm at uma.es fdominguezm at uma.es
Fri Jun 8 02:20:02 PDT 2007

Dear trnsys users,

I hope this helps:

* If you look at Type67 mathematical formulation, you will notice that it
is supposed that the surface (on which you want to calculate the
radiation) extends to infinity, so that the whole sky portion behind it is
completely obstructed (not seen by the surface). This is what modifies the
diffuse-radiation component, regardless of the obstruction mask. If you
want to get an unaltered diffuse component, you have to modify the source
code, or write a new code solving the actual geometry.

* The mask must be defined with many points (more than 16, for example),
independently of its shape, even in the case of a constant height profile.
Type67 divides the azimuth into the same number of segments that you use
in the mask. If the are not enough segments, type67 cannot properly locate
the position of the sun. In future releases type67 should use an internal
sub-division of the azimuth, in order to avoid this problem.

With best regards

Fernando Domínguez
University of Málaga (Spain)