[TRNSYS-users] type 56 validation/BESTEST/ ASHRAE heat balance method?

Eleni Ampatzi ampatzie at Cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Jul 12 07:18:37 PDT 2007

Dear All,

I am trying to find information related to the calculation engine of TRNSYS and its liability.
First of all, I find it difficult to identify in the documentation of the software which is the
method used for the calculation of the thermal load of the building component. Does the type 56
using the ASHRAE heat balance method?

I am also interested in any research addressing the validation of the type 56. Has been assessed
through BESTEST? If yes, are the results available? (the results for the 14.2 version should be
found at http://software.cstb.fr/iisibat/besttest_us.htm but the hyperlink under the "results" does
not work. TRNSYS Building model (version 14.2) means what exactly? Which component is used for the
building description for this test?).

Further to these, feedback from other users who also focus on the building side of the system would
be more than welcomed. I am interested in experience with the type 56 and in the potential
limitations/ problems associated with that. I am a new TRNSYS user and I am an architect, so I want
to see up how detailed the building description in TRNSYS can be...

Thank you very much in advance,

Best Regards

Eleni Ampatzi
PhD student WSA (Welsh School of Architecture)