[TRNSYS-users] Other buildings shadows

M.Malekzadeh M.Malekzadeh at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 05:52:09 PST 2007

Hi there,
I am just starting to use TRNSYS and a very important factor for me to go on
with this program is to be sure about its ability of considering the effect
of other buildings on mine. When I tried simulating a very simple
central-courtyard building (without any windows, any heating or cooling
etc), after using Building Wizard to divide my building in 8 zones (4 on the
sides of the courtyard and 4 on the corners) and running the simulation, I
got exactly the same results for the air temperature in the 2 zones situated
on my courtyard's north and south sides. This is kind of strange, because I
would assume that the other three wings would produce some shadow on the
northern one and therefore reduce the solar heat gain in there. But it
didn't happen.
So the only conclusion I can make is that while simulating different zones,
TRNSYS treats them separately and not in relation to each other (apart from
their adjacency effect of course). Is this true? Because if this is the
case, I need to find another simulation program helping me in assessing the
shadowing effect of other buildings as well as different parts of the same
building.
Thanks
Masoud

Masoud Malekzadeh
PhD Student
Department of Civil and Building Engineering
Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU

Tel: +44 1509 223434