[TRNSYS-users] concrete core cooling modelled with active layer

Pol Olivier Olivier.Pol at arsenal.ac.at
Tue Feb 6 06:43:58 PST 2007

Dear TRNSYS users,
I am modelling a concrete core cooling (activation of storage mass of slabs) with an active layer (with TRNSYS 16.01).
Relevant data are:
-        distance to edge of the slab: 12cm
-        pipe spacing: 20cm
-        flow mass: 12kg/h.m²
-        Temperature of supply air into the rooms: 19°C
According to the definition of outputs for a surface, the energy abstracted from the room into the slab should be QCOMI and QCOMO (considering both l-wave radiation and convection).
My results are:
-        inlet temperature 19°C, QCOMImax=15W/m²
-        inlet temperature 17°C, QCOMImax=20W/m² (average air temperature in summer: 21°C)
-        inlet temperature 17°C, without cooling of supply air, COMImax=25W/m² (average air temperature in summer: 22°C)
The values I obtain for QCOMI and QCOMO are much lower than the ones obtained in the practice (usually between 40 and 60W/m²).
I tried different variations (simulation time step, distance to the edge of the slab, flow mass and auto-segmentation, internal calculation of convective heat transfer coefficient, number of loops) without success...
Are QCOMI and QCOMO the right outputs?
Thank you for your suggestions,
Olivier Pol.

arsenal research

Geschäftsfeld Nachhaltige Energiesysteme /
Business Field Sustainable Energy Systems

DI Olivier Pol

Austria, 1210 Vienna, Giefinggasse 2
ph: +43 (0) 50550-6592, f: +43 (0) 50550-6613
mobile: +43 (0)664/ 62 07 890
olivier.pol at arsenal.ac.at <mailto:olivier.pol at arsenal.ac.at>
www.arsenal.ac.at <http://www.arsenal.ac.at/>