[TRNSYS-users] Atrium and natural ventilation

Enertech sidler at club-internet.fr
Thu Oct 5 09:21:09 PDT 2006

Dear TRNSYS users

We’re working on a office building with passivhaus objectives : no air
conditioning plant and very low heating consumption (less than 15
kWh/m²/year). This building has an atrium high 12 m. I’ve got two problems:
-         How to model the temperature stratification in the atrium? It is
a unique volume but we can assume that the temperature won’t be the same in
all the volume. Should I describe this atrium as 2 or 3 zones and add a
coupling airflow between them?
-         We want to use night free cooling to cool the offices during the
night in summer. It won’t be transversal ventilation but each single office
will be ventilated by one unique window, that we assume wide opened
(dimensions 60 x 170 cm). Is there a type in TRNSYS that enable to model
natural ventilation?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Best regards,

Christophe Plantier