[TRNSYS-users] Type 56, components of heat gains

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Fri Mar 31 08:52:03 PST 2006

Hi Timo,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your question. I needed help from our
building experts.  Marion Hiller from Transsolar helped me figure out
how to verify these values.

The best way to know how the building is calculating  the transmission
of solar radiation is to back calculate the transmissivity, absorptivity
and reflectivity of the window.

With an equation you can calculate the energy that is hitting the window:
Q_total = I_total_on_facade * Area_window,
where I_total_on_facade is the total radiation on the orientation
corresponding to the window.

If you ask the additional outputs from the building QSOLTR (ntype 12)
and QTSPAS (ntype 74), then you can calculate the values of
transmissivity = QSOLTR / Q_total
absorptivity = (QTSPAS - QSOLTR)/Q_total
reflectivity  = ( Q_total - QTSPAS)/Q_total

Then, you can finally compare these values with the data in the window
library corresponding to the specific glassing that you used.

I am attaching a modified version of the SunSpace example.  It contains
the results of the above calculations.  Let's pick a time so we can
compare:  at hour 36, the calculated values are:
transmissivity = 0.34
absorptivity = 0.36
reflectivity = 0.29
Incident_angle = 24°

If you go to TrnBuild, then to the window manager, and finally to the
WinID library, you will see that the properties of the glazing used are:
transmissivity_beam (Tsol)@30° = 0.413 ; transmissivity_hemispherical =
0.354
absorptivity_beam at 30° = Abs1 + Abs2 = 0.123+0.201 = 0.321;
absorptivity_hemispherical = 0.132 + 0.191 = 0.323
(There are two values of absorptivity, one for each of the surfaces of
the glazing).
reflectivity_beam(Rfsol)@30° = 0.262;  reflectivity_hemispherical = 0.314

The overall results that you get with the above equations are weighted
averages for the beam and solar radiation.

In addition, you can also ask for ntype903, which is a balance of solar
radiation on a window.
I hope this helps.  Please do not hesitate to contact me again if you
have additional questions.
Best regards,

Diego