[TRNSYS-users] Problem with type 515 (TESS)

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:53:56 PST 2006

Johan,

> I tried to use type 515 for simulating a heating and cooling season.
> Obvious a very simple ans usefull plug-in but I get an error when running.
> Message               : The heating and cooling season scheduler model
> was unable to read the correct information from the provided external
> data file.  Please check the location and format of this file and re-run
> the simulation..

There are many possible causes for such an error, but if you have
carefully checked the file location and format, here is a suggestion:
are you by any chance mixing Release and Debug DLL's?
Fortran only allows you to share logical units ("file handles") between
DLL's that were compiled in the same mode. So if you are using a release
version of the TESS libraries and a debug version of TRNDll, the Types
in the DLL (such as Type 515) would get invalid logical units and
generate error messages telling you they can't find the file. Another
symptom of the problem is that empty "fort.nn" files are created in your
deck folder (where nn is the logical unit number).
If that is your problem, you just have to make sure the correct versions
of the TESS libraries DLL's are in your UserLib folder (Release or Debug
depending on your TRNDll.dll). You can also check in the log file that
Type 515 was loaded from the correct DLL (TRNSYS displays a list of all
the DLL's it found and which Types were loaded from which one).

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

École Polytechnique de Montréal - Génie Mécanique
Case Postale 6079, succursale Centre-Ville
Montréal   QC   H3C 3A7
Canada

Email : michael.kummert à polymtl.ca