[TRNSYS-users] Parametric Run

Todd Houstein toddh at utas.edu.au
Mon Apr 10 01:52:07 PDT 2006

Dear Luca,
A couple of ways of doing this are:

1) Using Microsoft Excel (or equivalent)
- Set up the matrix of values using Microsoft excel (or equivalent) with a
column for each variable and a row for each run
- In TRNEdit select "New Table" from the "Parametrics" window
- Put in the correct number of runs, select the desired variables,
- In Microsoft Excel, select the matrix of values and copy them to the
clipboard
- In TRNEdit, select "Paste" from the "Edit" menu

2) Using the HART Table Builder
For parametric runs with several variables and/or many runs, entering all of
the values into Excel can be time consuming. I have written a simple
application to automate the process. I am happy for you (or anyone else) to
use it for free. With it, you can specify the number of variables, and for
each variable you can specify the minimum value, maximum value, and the
number of (equally spaced) steps between them. The application automatically
generates a table containing all combination of the values you have
specified. It writes this table to the clipboard ready to be pasted into a
TRNEdit table. It also tells you what size TRNEdit table is required.

If you wish to try it out:
- Unzip the attached file
- Run the installation file (run the installation file again at any time to
uninstall it)
- Run the application from either the desktop shortcut or start menu (>>
Programs >> HART >> Table Builder V1.0)
- Click "OK" on the info window, you will see a table with 4 columns and 1
row.
- For the 1st variable in your parametric run enter the variable name
(optional), minimum value, maximum value, and number of steps
- Add additional rows for each variable
- Click "Build", this sets up the desired table and writes it to the
clipboard
- In TRNEdit select "New Table" from the "Parametrics" window
- Put in the correct number of runs, select the desired variables (note that
the correct number of variables and runs are displayed in the HART Table
Builder)
- Select "Paste" from the "Edit" menu

Any feedback is welcome. I wrote this a while ago, and haven't looked at it
much since. I could probably add a lot more functionality to it. If there's
some interest in it then I will consider doing so.

Best regards,
Todd

Todd Houstein  BEng(Hons)  MIEAust
President, Engineers Without Borders Tasmania
www.ewb.org.au/tasmania

Committee member, Young Engineers Australia - Tasmania
www.youngengineers.com.au

PhD Candidate
Hydrogen & Allied Renewable Technologies (HART) research team
www.eng.utas.edu.au/research/hart/hydrogen.html
School of Engineering
University of Tasmania
Private Bag 65 Hobart