[TRNSYS-users] Problem with Uwin value and Uframe

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Thu Sep 1 14:41:44 PDT 2005

Dear Amelie:

I think I have an idea of what is happening.  I would recommend looking
at section 2.2.8. of the second part of Volume
'6-MultizoneBuilding.pdf'.  Paraphrasing what this section explains:
- u_window = f_frame * u_frame + (1 - f_frame) * u_glass
- u_glass = (A_centr * u_centr + A_edge*u_edge) / (A_cent + A_edge)
- u_edge = c_edge,1 + c_edge,2* u_centr + c_edge,3 * u_centr2
where,
u_window : u-value of the window, taking into account edge effects and
frame effects.
u_glass: u-value of the window, taking into account the edge effects.
u_edge: u-value of the glazing edge of the glass.  This value is
calculated by the program WINDOW4.1, and in implemented in the window
library.
u_centr: center of glass u-value

Therefore, the value that you get, 2.1 W/(m².K), does not take into
account the edge effects that Prebid is calculating.  I hope this
helps.  Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Diego

--

Diego A. Arias
TRNSYS Coordinator