[TRNSYS-users] Type 31 with high mass flows

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Thu Sep 1 07:00:20 PDT 2005

Dear Jens:

 From your message, I understand that you are trying to assess the
sensitivity of the solution with respect to the discretization of the pipe.
If you look at the Fortran code of TYPE31, you will see that it
calculates the fraction  FLOW*DELT / MASS, where FLOW is the mass flow
rate entering the pipe, DELT the time step, and MASS the total mass that
the pipe can contain (density*volume).

There are two limits for this fraction:
- If this ratio is very small (less than a tolerance TOL = 0.001), then
the pipe is not updated and only the thermal losses are calculated.
- if  this fraction is greater than 1, you will get the error message
'flow is bigger than the capacity of the pipe during one time step'.

As the TYPE31 is not a regular finite differences method, but a plug
model,  you have to keep in mind these limits if you want to run a
sensitivity analysis of the solution with respect to the pipe
discretization.  I would recommend looking at section 5.6.4 of  the
05-MathematicalReference.pdf, where you will find an explanation of the
plug model.

I hope this explanation helps.

Diego

--