[TRNSYS-users] Convection Model in photovoltaitic panel

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Thu Oct 20 17:19:04 PDT 2005

Dear Javier,

Please refer to the mathematical description of the PV cells modeled in
TRNSYS (Volume 5, 'Mathematical Reference', section 5.2.5).
Specifically, section 5.2.5.5. describes how the temperature of the cell
is calculated.  As a brief description, the temperature of the cell is
the result of an energy balance on the photo voltaic cell.  Assuming
that the ratio between the transmittance-absorptance product to the
overall heat transfer coefficient ( (tau -alpha) / U_L) is constant, the
plate temperature is calculated using the result of this product at test
conditions (Normal Operating Cell Temperature).
For a more complete description of this model, I recommend that you look
at 'Duffie and Beckman, Solar Engineering of Thermal Processes, John
Wiley & Sons, 1991', section 23.3.
You could modify Type94 and improve the afore mentioned assumption, by
calculating the heat transfer coefficient from a rectangular plate under
wind conditions. The same book, in section 3.15, gives different Nusselt
number correlations for plates exposed to outside winds.
Please let me know if this helps or if you need additional information.
Best regards,

Diego