[TRNSYS-users] Behaviour of water pipes

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Tue Nov 1 13:45:55 PST 2005

Dear Xavier:

Type 31 (pipe or duct) calculates the thermal losses in a pipe, using a
plug-flow model.  This component is based on the solution of an energy
balance equation for the pipe.  One of the parameters of this component
is the heat transfer coefficient for thermal losses to the environment,
based on the inside pipe surface area.  You have to calculate this value
for the different insulation strategies.  The outputs are the outlet
fluid temperature and the different energy rates: losses to the
environment, inlet energy to the pipe, change in internal energy.
Please refer to section 5.6.4 of the Volume 5 for a description of the
mathematical model.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.
Best regards,

Diego