[TRNSYS-users] Command line switches

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Tue Mar 15 06:51:27 PST 2005

Todd,

> I am using GENOPT to run optimizations of my TRNSYS projects. I am already
> using the /N command line switch so that the <continue> button does not need
> to be clicked after each simulation, however I cannot use my computer for
> anything else while the optimization is running because each time TRNExe.exe
> is called it takes focus (i.e. becomes the active window). Is there a
> command line switch that runs TRNExe.exe in the background??

In TRNSYS 15 there is a way to do this: just change the 2nd line in
cnfgtr.trn. This file is in your Trnsys15 directory but you can also
place a copy in the deck file directory, which I would recommend in this
case. In the "local" copy, change:

Y        -> DISPLAY SIMULATION STATUS DURING RUN TIME?  [Y OR N]

N        -> DISPLAY SIMULATION STATUS DURING RUN TIME?  [Y OR N]

And TRNSYS 15 will run without creating a window.
This feature has not been implemented in TRNSYS 16 yet.

I hope this helps,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu