[TRNSYS-users] urgent: PC gain!

Hilde Breesch Hilde.Breesch at UGent.be
Fri Jan 28 04:43:09 PST 2005

MessaggioDear Pietro,

Most of the time I use the measured data for computers, monitors, printers and photocopiers from Wilkins and Hosni , published in ASHRAE journal 42 (6), 2000 (in attachment). But I don't know if they have measured LCD monitors.

best regards,

Hilde Breesch
PhD student Buildings & Climatic Control
Department of Architecture & Urban Planning
Ghent University
J. Plateaustraat 22, B-9000 GENT
tel. +32 9 264 78 61  fax. +32 9 264 41 85
e-mail: Hilde.Breesch at UGent.be
http://allserv.ugent.be/~hbreesch/research

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Pietro Filippi
  To: trnsys-users at engr.wisc.edu
  Cc: esp-r at strath.ac.uk
  Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 1:00 PM
  Subject: [TRNSYS-users] urgent: PC gain!

  hi to all!
  I urgently need to know what internal gain assign for PC. We know new computers are much more powerful (as processor) and new LCD monitors "sucks" few electricity.

  En example (from tech data on their back):
  traditional monitor: 220V x 2.5A = 625We
  LCD monitor: 220V x 1.5A = 330We (but a shop catalogue gives 40-50W power consumption for a similar LCD!..).

  (an LCD is approximately 50% saving...right? but if I touch a traditional monitor I feel it is actually pretty warm while the LCD one is at ambient temperature! It would seem less than -50% consuming (as thermal gain I mean...). And in any case the electricity charge it is not totally dissipated in heat...)

  ...so can anybody tell me an average reasonable thermal dissipation? for LCD monitor and PC?

  thanks in advance
  Pietro

  PS
  well, according to the following report found on internet (from CERN in Switzerland)
  https://webh01.cern.ch/it-support-mrp/B513_Upgrade/reviewoct2002/pc_power_consumption.doc

  but getting the total consumption and dissipation from it is not clear...

  PC power consumption

  Bernd Panzer-Steindel, CERN/IT/ADC

  30.07.2002

    a.. Power supply efficiency is about 70 % ==    70 W effective power needs 100 W input power

    a.. Mainboard + power supply + harddisk under load consume on a dual cpu board
              (PIII 1 GHz) up to 100 W more (variation of up to 30 % depended on the motherboard

              and power supply)

    a.. The latest dual cpu Itanium 2 box from HP requires  about 700 Watts of input power

    a.. Ratio of SpecInt95 versus SpecInt2000 is about 0.1       1 SpecInt95 = 10 SpecInt2000

    a.. Disk power consumption is about 10 W at idle time and 30 W at startup  (120 GB EIDE disk)

    a.. Estimated needs for LHC computing in 2007 is    2.3 million  SpecInt95 and 3100 TB
  à   at a ratio of  10 SpecInt2000 / Watt   ==  2.3 MW power for the CPU server

  à   with 1 TB disks at 30 W                     ==  0.1 MW

         but scaling not yet really checked       current   GB/W curve

    a.. PIII   Northwood (0.18 um)  256 KB L2                          == 28 million transistors
              PIII   Willamette (0.13 um)  256 KB L2                          == 28 million transistors

              PIV   (0.18 um)  256 KB L2                                             ==  42 million transistors

              PIV   (0.13 um)  512 KB L2                                             ==  55 million transistors

              Itanium 2  Mcinley (0.18 um) 256 KB L2 + 3 MB L3     ==  220 million transistors

              Itanium 2  Maddison (0.13 um) 256 KB L2 + 6 MB L3   ==  500 million transistors

              (L3 on chip !) à power

  Ing. Pietro Filippi
  Nier Ingegneria SpA
  www.niering.it