[TRNSYS-users] adiacent wall

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 24 13:38:23 PST 2005

Pietro,

> in Prebid I define a wall as "adiacent" to another room. I have to
> choose the option "front/back" for it. I know that for a window the
> "front" corresponds to the inside and the "back" to the outside.
> Have I choose the option "back"?
> Infact I figure out a wall in a room is always adiacent in its back side
> (according to the definition above), otherwise it would be adiacent to
> the same room! it would make sense only for internal walls (as deviding
> zones in open spaces, but in this case there is ho difference between
> back and front side conditions)....so. Is there any particular case for
> using "front"?

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly.
"Front" and "back" refer to 2 sides of a wall. When you define a wall,
you enter the layers from front to back. For example if you define an
external wall as Plaster-concrete-air-brick, the plaster is on the
"front" side and the brick is on the "back" side.

For external walls (and windows), "front" is by definition inside. So if
you use the above structure as an external wall, you have no choice,
TRNSYS will assume the plaster is inside.

For internal (adjacent) walls, you have to indicate whether the front or
back side of a wall is in a zone when you add the wall to that zone.
E.g. assume the above wall separates zone 1 from zone 2. When you add
the wall to zone 1 and specify that it is adjacent to 2, you have 2
options. If you specify that the "front" side is in zone 1, the wall
gets automatically created in zone 2 with the "back" side in the room.
This means the plaster is in room 1 and the brick is in room 2. Having
the "back" side in room 1 would mean the plaster is in room 2.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu