[TRNSYS-users] (no subject)

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 7 07:39:16 PST 2005

fatema najate wrote:
> *hello;*
>
> I m simulating a house built out of earth with a type 56, and for wall
> thicknesses > 30cm the results are not ‘good’. I have tried to change
> the subroutine that calculates the transfer function coefficients but I
> do not succeed; how can I do this? IS there another way that solves the
> problem?**

Type 56 is known to have a problem to calculate the wall transfer
functions of very thick (massive) walls. If you are using a time base
that is less than 1 hour, you can try using 1 hour since this will
usually give good results even if your simulation uses a shorter time
step. If you are already using a "large" time base, one workaround is to
split the wall in two identical parts separated by a fictitious zone.
Set the convection coefficient to a very high value in the fictitious
zone, and its volume to a very small value. I am not aware of any
problems related to that technique except for the fact that it's not as
convenient as being able to define the wall directly.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

> Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos
> mails !
> Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
> <http://fr.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/*http://fr.rd.yahoo.com/evt=25917/*http://fr.rd.yahoo.com/mail_fr/mail_campaigns/splash/taglines_250/default/*http://fr.promotions.yahoo.com/mail/creer28.html>

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu