[TRNSYS-users] how to make Trnsys read...

Michaël Kummert kummert at engr.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 2 07:39:25 PST 2005

Pietro,
> together with a collegue we modified type 36 and we compiled it. we
> susptituted its compiled files in the folder TYPES but trnsys engine
> seems no to read the new files. We know we are wrong but we don't know
> where...

I think you may be skipping the link process. After all Types and kernel
routines are compiled into .obj files, they need to be linked together
to form a DLL (TRNDll.dll in TRNSYS 16, TRNLib.dll in TRNSYS 15). If you
are using the CVF compiler the easier way is to use the workspace
included in the distribution and rebuild the DLL (F7). The time stamp of
the DLL should have changed after that.

Also, please note that if you use TRNSYS 16, it may be safer and more
convenient in the long run to create a modified copy of Type 36 (say
Type 236) which you would compile into a separate DLL. This will make it
easier for you to share the Type with other users and it will also make
TRNSYS updates easier to apply.
Volume 8 of the documentation has instructions to create a new component
and compile it into an external DLL.

Kind regards,

Michaël Kummert

Michaël Kummert

Solar Energy Laboratory - University of Wisconsin-Madison
1303 Engr Res Bldg, 1500 Engineering Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Tel: +1 (608) 263-1589
Fax: +1 (608) 262-8464
E-mail: kummert at engr.wisc.edu