[TRNSYS-users] fuel cells/electrolyser

Todd Houstein toddh at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 22:34:37 PDT 2004

Dear George,
I understand exactly where you are coming from as I was attempting to
tackle the same problem when your email arrived in my inbox! I am only
working with electrolysers at this stage, not fuel cells. Generally, the
technical information available from manufacturers is severely lacking.

There is a paper written by the author of HYDROGEMS, Oystein Ulleberg,
which explains the electrolyser model Type 160 in detail:

Oystein Ulleberg, Modeling of advanced alkaline electrolyzers: a system
simulation approach, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 28,
Issue 1, January 2003, Pages 21-33.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6V3F-45X2MNY-1/2/ffc2e3da
c26a69277d8280a9d39ea659)

You should be able to obtain the 11 parameters in the TRNSYS deck (area of
electrode, number of cells, etc) from information from the manufacturer.
The 10 parameters in the external file are much more difficult to
determine. (Ulleberg 2003) describes a systematic method for determining 6
of them (R1, R2, S1, T1, T2 and T3), however it requires fairly extensive
experimental or operational data (voltage, current and temperature). From
the information in (Ulleberg 2003) you can also work out how to determine
the remaining 4 parameters in the external file, however again fairly
extensive experimental or operational data is required. I can think of only
two ways of obtaining this data:

1) Find a particularly cooperative manufacturer who will give you the
required data (and good luck with that!)

2) Purchase the electrolyser and conduct the experiments yourself (which is
very expensive, and for me it defeats the purpose as I am using modeling in
order to work out which electrolyser to use).

So, whilst Type 160 is an excellent model as far as accuracy goes, it is
not practical for many applications due to the difficulty in determining
the necessary parameters. What we need is a more simplified model. I agree
that a model with constant efficiency is probably not accurate enough. My
initial suggestion is to specify pairs of input power (kW) and hydrogen
production rate (Nm3/h) (similar to the WECS model (Type 190), which
specifies pairs of wind speed (m/s) and output power (kW)). It should be
much easier to obtain this information from manufacturers.

(Ulleberg 2003) also refers to six other papers that describe electrolyser
models. So first of all I will read these papers to see if there is a more
suitable model. I'll let you know how I go.

One question before I go: What inputs and outputs do you require from the
model? At this stage I think my only input will be input power (kW), and
the outputs will be hydrogen production rate (Nm3/h), oxygen production
rate (Nm3/h) and water consumption rate (L/h).

Regards,
Todd Houstein
PhD Candidate
Hydrogen & Allied Renewable Technologies (HART) research group
School of Engineering
University of Tasmania

Private Bag 65 Hobart
Tasmania Australia 7001